While you might have read my detailed post on the top three reasons why you should retire early, this one is just a laundry list of more such reasons which might not be the primary reasons to retire early but good enough to consider retiring early.
So here we go:
- Get up when you want, well for most of the time. If you are married, you still have a boss at home (my lovely wife is my boss at home). And when the boss asks, you simply do.
- Work on what you want, when you want. For most part, yes. However, if you are working on some deliverable for someone else you would still have to meet the deadline. The good part is, you can better negotiate that deadline upfront and work on what is possible to fit in your schedule.
- Cheap vacations. You can plan your travel in off season (since you don’t have to wait for the holiday season in your office anymore), and get cheap air-tickets and hotels.
- And vacations are true vacations with no work emails to check.
- No peak time traffic to face. That is what you get when you can plan your days.
- Low stress. When you work on what you want, when you want without the pressure of working for money the stress levels are much lower.
- Get to spend more time with friends and family.
- You can be more spontaneous in life.
- Your mistakes would truly be your mistakes with no boss to keep reminding you of the same. Though sometimes it could be helpful for someone else to point out what you need to improve but more often feedback is used as a tool to criticise.
- If you retire in your 40s chances are you would be much healthier than if you retire in your 60s. With health in your hand, you can enjoy your retirement much more.